Sunday, March 9, 2008

Thank God for Fat Quarters and Books.




There are two places in the world that I can lose myself in, a book store or a fabric store.
When I was a little girl my Grandma would take me every year to a place in San Francisco called the City of Paris. The city of Paris was a huge department store that had a gigantic Christmas Tree right in the middle of the Store, it was thrilling to me to see this tree. My sister and I were allowed to go and pick out whatever we wanted for Christmas. The store had a large book selection and I remember running right to the books and spending what seemed like hours trying to pick out one book. They would have to drag me out of there and I can remember my older sister getting upset with me and telling me to hurry up! I can still remember the first book I ever got there, it was called, The Three Spies.
I was not the happiest little girl but when I was with my grandma and grandpa I felt like a thousand bucks. I also learned to fall into books and I think I lived in a fantasy during all my school years.
Books helped me survive a terrible school experience and great feelings of inferiority. The ironic thing is that I had a terrible case of dyslexia but I loved to read.
Books and fabric make me happy and I'm hoping to pass that onto the girls when we open Nana's House.
I picture a reading area with a lot of comfy pillows, quilts and lots of books..

I also dream of being a person like my grandma and grandpa were to me. They were such an encouragement and I knew they loved me just the way I was with all my quirks and faults. They really did make me feel important and protected like every child should feel.

We are praying for the girls that will be coming to Nana's House. We are praying that it will be a safe haven for some hurting children, a place filled with wonderful childhood experiences.

No comments: