Thursday, February 21, 2008


XOCHITL SOUP

(pronounced sochil)

That is a picture of Caldo de Xochitl I made today. A fair warning about me. I'm one of those cooks that never measures a thing. I just do everything to taste.

The thing I like about this soup is that you do not cook the vegetables. You cut them up and throw them all in right before you serve the soup. It's so fresh tasting ; it's my favorite!

Makes 8 cups, serving 6 to 8

3 quarts rich chicken broth. (I like to use one whole chicken and boil it until the meat falls off the bones. A little garlic, onion and salt is really all you need. You can make a stock with carrots and celery too but take them out so you just use the broth and chicken for the soup.)

1 large head of garlic, unpeeled

2 fresh jalapeƱo chiles, stemmed

1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice

2 large ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice

Salt, about 1 1/2 teaspoons depending on the saltiness of the broth

3/4 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro

About 1 cup coarsely shredded cooked chicken (optional)

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice

2 peeled and diced up cucumbers



1 lime, cut into 6 to 8 wedges... Limes are set out in the table and people can just use them if they want to.

You can add a little rice to this if you want.

An important note! I often do not add the chilies. I enjoy this soup without them.

De bone the chicken, cut it up in small pieces and add it to the broth. Add the fresh uncooked veggies in each individual bowl.

3 comments:

sondra salazar said...

This is so great! We will take this to the church and get them excited and get support for this going. Love the food pictures!

Fnarf said...

You don't add the chiles? What are you, some kind of crazy person? Come on, add the chiles! You have to! That's where the flavor is!

Mary Jo said...

You have to ask if I'm some kind of crazy person? This you do not know by now! Are you slow?